Aide Et Action (AEA)
Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFP) Cambodia
Kampuchean Action for Primary Education (KAPE).
Educate a child: Ethnic Minority Children in the Cambodian Consortium for Out of School Children (CCOSC) project
Accessing education in north-east Cambodia is not an opportunity all children get to enjoy. Families and children face barriers including language, distance, financial means and help required at home preventing school attendance.
Ratanak Kiri province, home to a large proportion of Cambodia's 23 minority ethnicities, has the lowest indicators for all education sectors despite progress that has been made forenrolments and a higher rate of transition from primary education to secondary education. While Cambodia has improved overall access to basic education, many children in remote areas, especially those with a different ethno-linguistic background, still struggle to get access to quality education.
The Cambodian Consortium for Out of School Children, led by Aide et Action, is working to turn this around. CARE Cambodia leads the ethnic minorities component of the consortium, working with partners KAPE and NTFP Cambodia.
The project aims to address the obstacles and support children, their families and schools to see students studying long-term, through making the most of the children’s skills and knowledge and applying them in the classroom.
Additionally, the project aims to improve teaching quality through teacher training, increase multilingual education and ensure the curriculum is culturally appropriate and addressing the needs of children and the communities.
Educate a Child aims to increase equitable access to education through improving the quality, and cultural appropriateness of state schools in ethnic minority communities and expanding foundation and in-service teacher training opportunities, as well as build capacity of schools, teachers and community leaders and undertake advocacy and research to see more children enrolled in schools.
- Prepare multilingual education materials for distribution at school
Quality and Efficiency of Educational Services:
- Coordination meeting with provincial and district offices of education for planning
- Training teachers: multilingual education training foundation, in service training and multilingual education teaching methodology
- Fast track training of ethnic minority state school teachers on multilingual education teaching methodology
- Orientation workshop for new activities 18 primary schools
- Training school support committee on multilingual education
- Ministry and Provincial Office of Education capacity development workshop
- Cross visit to share experience between teachers and communities on multilingual education
This project is part of the Cambodian Consortium for Out of School Children, which is co-funded by the Educate a Child (EAC) program from the Education Above All (EAA) Foundation.
Dec 2014 - Nov 2017
18 primary schools at five districts in Ratanak Kiri Province: Bar Kaev, VeunSai, LumPhat, Koun Mom and Ou Chum.
Direct: State school administrators and teachers from 12 commune schools in five districts in Ratanak Kiri province, State School Committee members and students.
Indirect: Community members from the 12 communes in five districts in Ratanak Kiri province and ministry officials.